|10 August 2017|
St Thomas’ Church, Kendal
- Young: Sing Each Song Twice
- Ibert Souvenir for string quartet & double bass
- Michael Berkeley Clarion Call and Gallop
- Lennox Berkeley Sextet, Op.47
- Beethoven Septet in E flat major, Op.20
Tickets: £24/£16. General Booking opens 5 June. Click here for full booking information.
The first of two concerts in a mini-residency marking the Berkeley Ensemble’s LDSM début. In ‘Home-Thoughts, from Abroad’ poet Robert Browning writes of ‘the wise thrush… [who] sings each song twice over, lest you should think he never could recapture the first fine careless rapture!’. Toby Young’s dramatic curtain-raiser, written for the ensemble, was inspired equally by this poem and by the closing work of this programme. Beethoven may have grown to despise the success of his Septet –’That damned thing! I wish it were burned!’– but we have cause to be grateful that it was not.